A pleasant evening

The people of Burghfield continued to support the war effort at home.

January 1918
War Savings

Miss Ada Gripper sends us notice that she has sold 57 War Savings Certificates to members of the Girls’ Friendly Society.

The Rector [Mr George] and Mrs George and Mr and Mrs Sheppard are organising a “Whist Drive” to take place in the Jubilee Room on Thursday, Jan. 10th, at 7 o’clock, the proceeds to be given to the Rectory Red X Working Party, for which Mrs Butler, of Amner’s Farm, Burghfield, kindly acts as secretary. She also “cuts out” and “presses” all the work, and is responsible for taking it to the Depot in Reading. The number of articles sent in during the past year is 125 treasure bags, 47 pairs of socks, 13 pyjamas, 13 pairs of mittens, 182 pillow cases, 15 helpless case shirts, 52 slings, 8 bandages, 2 mufflers, 5 helmets. It is interesting to know that 20 of the Working Party have been awarded the “W.W.” badge.

Subscriptions to the Fund have already been received from Mrs Willink, £1; Mrs George, 5/-; Mrs Butler, 2/6; Miss Goodall, 2/6; Mrs Davidson, 2/6; and Miss Hannam, 2/6.

February 1918
Rectory Red Cross Working Party

A Whist Drive held at the Jubilee Room on January 10th, in aid of this Working Party, was a great success, the sum of £5 15s 0d being obtained. The prizes were given by the Rector and Mrs George…
A pleasant evening ended by a vote of thanks to the Rector and Mrs George, and the National Anthem.

Burghfield parish magazine, January and February 1918 (D/EX725/4)

Advertisements

Good work in these troublesome times

The Wargrave branch of the Girls’ Friendly Society decided to pass up on a good time at home in favour of supporting their friends in France, who were offering a rest station to soldiers on leave.

G.F.S

At the Branch Quarterly Meeting, on April 13th, it was decided not to hold a Branch Festival this year, but to instead send five pounds to the Paris Lodge, which is doing such good work in these troublesome times and is much in need of funds.

Wargrave parish magazine, June 1917 (D/P145/28A/31)

Girls need lodgings in towns while doing war work

Young women who had joined the workforce under war conditions needed somewhere safe to live.

In these days when girls need lodgings in towns while doing war work of various kinds it is well to bring before them the advantages offered by the “Girls’ Friendly Society” Lodges in the Diocese.
With the Lady Superintendents always at hand in case of little ailments or worries and other girls for company, a “Lodge” is more cheerful than solitary lodgings. Food too, can be better and more varied with a large number to cater for.

The Diocesan Lodges have charming gardens.

Those who do not belong to the Society need a reference and a charged a little more than members of the G.F.S.

The necessity for special training in various trades and professions, is well understood: it is now becoming recognised that this is also needed for domestic service. Girls can obtain this training at the Lodges.

Terms can be had by sending a stamped envelope to the Lady Superintendents :- G.F.S. Lodge, 63, St. Giles, Oxford; Berks G.F.S. Lodge, 62, London Street, Reading; Alma Cottage, Speen, Newbury.

Winkfield District Magazine, August 1916 (D/P151/28A/8/8)

Save sixpences for the war

Young women in Reading were encouraged to support the war financially.

WAR SAVINGS
A War Savings Association has been formed by the Reading branch of the GFS affiliated to our Diocese. The object is to help members and others (for it is not limited to GFS members) to save sixpences, and to buy War Savings Certificates. Miss Wilkinson, 15, Victoria Square, is the Local Collector for our parish branch, and she will be pleased to give any information about the Association.

Reading St. John parish magazine, August 1916 (D/P172/28A/24)

Providing hostels for Girl Munition Workers

Women and girls in Bracknell were supporting the war effort in various ways.

G.F.S.

A sum of £26 6s. 5d. has been collected by the Association and Members of the Sunninghill and Warfield Branch of the Girls’ Friendly Society and sent to Headquarters for the provision of hostels for Girl Munition Workers. Of this sum £6 13s. 11d. was collected in Bracknell.

WAR WORK DEPOT.

The work at the depot continues with unabated energy. On March 22nd 300 badges, with accompanying certificates, from Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild, of which Bracknell is a Branch, were distributed to all those who, having worked regularly for the Guild for three months, had thus become eligible. A few days later the Secretary received the following letter from the Central Depot, Cavendish Square:-

The Council have much pleasure in informing you that Her Majesty the Queen has been graciously pleased to sanction the issue of a Royal Certificate to your Depot, as a Branch of the Central Depot, Surgical Branch of Queen Mary’s Needlework Guild. Very few of these Royal Certificates are to be granted, and the list of depots was submitted to Her Majesty, who graciously approved of the recommendation of your Depot. The Council are confident that your Depot will appreciate the honour bestowed by Her Majesty.

The granting of this Royal Certificate has given the greatest pleasure to the Committee, as it came as a complete surprise; and they share with our Workers the satisfaction which we all feel at the recognition by Her Majesty of our united efforts.

There are still a number of Workers qualifying for their Badges and Certificates, and the Committee wish to take this opportunity of saying, that as soon as they have worked regularly for three months for the Guild, they are entitled to apply to the Secretary for them.

Chavey Down section of Winkfield District magazine, May 1916 (D/P151/28A/5)

Lodgings for girls doing war work

Young women were increasingly engaged in war work, as nurses or on munitions factories. Many of them ended up a long way from home, and the Girls’ Friendly Society, an existing charity aimed at helping working class girls, was the ideal organisation to help.

G.F.S.

In these days when girls need lodgings in Towns while doing War work of various kinds, it is well to bring before them the advantages offered by the “Girls’ Friendly Society” Lodges in the Diocese.

With the Lady Superintendent always at hand, in case of little ailments and worries, and other girls for company, a “Lodge” is more cheerful than solitary lodgings. Food, too, can be better and more varied with a larger number to cater for.

The Diocesan Lodges have charming gardens. Those who do not belong to the Society need a reference, and are charged a little more than Members of the G.F.S.

The necessity for special training, in various trades and professions, is well understood: It is now becoming recognised that this is also needed for domestic service. Girls can obtain this training at the Lodges.

Terms can be had by sending a stamped envelope to the Lady Superintendents-

G.F.S. Lodge, Berks. G.F.S. Lodge,
63, St Giles’ 62, London Street,
Oxford. Reading.
Alma Cottage,
Speen,
Newbury.

Wargrave parish magazine, May 1916 (D/P145/28A/31); and Earley parish magazine, June (D/P191/28A/31/6)

“Our power to be of use to our Country in her time of need”

Young girls in south east Berkshire were encouraged to do their bit.

THE GIRLS’ FRIENDLY SOCIETY

A large gathering of Members and their Mothers from the various Parishes in the Sunninghill and Winkfield Branch of the G.F.S. met in the South Ascot Parish Hall on the afternoon of Wednesday, January 26th. Mrs. Elliot, who presided, and arranged a very pleasant afternoon, asked Miss Mangles to come from London to speak to the girls and their mothers. She gave a charming address full of feeling and helpful suggestions, and address which encouraged the most diffident among us, and made us realize how very real was our power (each in our simple way) to be of use to our Country in her time of need. After the address an excellent tea was enjoyed by everyone, followed by dancing, before breaking up in time for the Sunningdale, Bracknell and Warfield members to return by train.

Ascot section of the Winkfield District Magazine, February 1916 D/P151/28A/8/2

A right minded boy does his duty and dies gloriously

Bracknell had lost its first man to the war – a young career soldier remembered locally for his football skills, with many others joining up.

The following is a list of those who belong to the Parish of Bracknell, and who are in the habit of attending Bracknell Church, who are now serving in H.M. Forces.

NAVY.
R.-Admiral Dudley de Chair, Cecil Bowler, E. Cordery, G. Freeman, G. Jenkins, A. Mott, C. Pleass, H. Roe, R. Watson, E. Wild.

MARINES
E. J. Brailey, R. H. Hester, E. S. Simmonds, C. H. Johnson, W. G. Johnson, J. H. Johnson, F. Gray, Charles Gambriel, G. Jenkins, S. Plummer, A. Prouten.

Many of these are in the North Sea.

ARMY
On Active Service.
Lieut. W. Foster, Lieut. W. Mackenzie, Captain W. K. George, H. Baker, Henry Barlow, Reginald Bowler, George Bowles, John Brant, G. H. Butcher, F. Butler, Alfred Case, Daniel Chaplin, L. Claridge, G. Clarke, N. Clarke, H. Currey, H. Downham, F. Dolby, M. Fox, W. Grimes, F. Harvey, H. Hollingsworth, A. Isaacs, B. Linnegar, A. Mason, H. Matthews, G. Morton, A. Newton, H. Norman, F. Offield, F. Rathband, R. Sadler, B. Sone, A. Winfield, C. Young, A. Penwell (India), S. Norman (Malta), W. Notley, A. E. Reed.

In England
Col. Sir W. Foster, Bart., Lieut. J. C. L. Barnett, Lieut. B. Foster, H. Alder, James Bowyer, John Bowyer, G. Brant, H. Bristow, C. Burt, C. Cave, C. Church, W. Clark, F. L. Dean, C. Dyer, W. Dyer, C. W. Ellis, F. Fitzhugh, J. K. George, E. Godfrey, F. Goddard, H. Gray, J. Gray, Ernest Gambriel, H. Gregory, S. Grimes, A. Holloway, H. Hoptroff, C. Hoptroff, G. Hoptroff, T. H. James, A. Jenkins, G. Kent, S. Kidley, R. Larcombe, J. Lawrence, L. Linnegar, E. Mason, G. Mason, H. Marshall, W. Norris, E. Noyes, H. Perrin, A. Pither, J. Pither, W. Pither, A. J. Prouten, S. Rixon, A. Readings, W. Sargeant, R. Sargeant, D. Sargeant, A. E. Searle, S. Sone, W. Spencer, H. Thompson, P. Treble, W. Turner, B. Turner, H. Webb, F. Webb, A. Winter, G. Winter, H. Winter, J. Wooff, R. Wright, A. Youens, E. Willman.

Two young men belonging to Bracknell have come over with the Canadian Contingent and will shortly be at the Front, – William Searle, and C. Berry.

Drummer Eric W. Roe of the Grenadier Guards is the first of our Bracknell men whose name is placed on the “Roll of Honour.” (more…)

Clewer Bandage Society supplies war hospitals

The ladies of Clewer were very organised in their work supporting the needs of the wounded across the country.  They reported in the parish magazine:

The Clewer Bandage Society has supplied 2,000 bandages to the 4th Dragoon Guards and boxes of bandages, old linen and lint to the London Hospital, St. Bartholomew’s, the Lonsdale Hospital, Barrow-in-Furness, which receives the accident cases from Vickers’ ship building yard, amounting to 50 daily, and since the war began has wounded soldiers also; and the Connaught Hospital, where a new consignment of wounded soldiers has just been received.
The lint has been made by the Candidates of the G.F.S. [Girls’ Friendly Society], who are pleased to render this small service to the noble defenders of out country and homes.
A blanket and some knitting has also been sent to Miss Anson for Chatham.
Contributions towards the purchase of bandage material and knitting wool are now much needed by the Secretary.
MRS. RIBBANS, Bexley Lodge, Clewer.

The Connaught Hospital,
Aldershot, 12/11/14.
Dear Madam,
The officer in charge has asked me to thank you for the most useful gifts which are so acceptable, as we are using such a tremendous amount of dressings.
The old linen does to make “many tailed” bandages for septic cases which can be used and burnt.
I will distribute the leaflets and ask some of the officers’ wives to help.
Again thanking you for your kindness,
Yours very truly,
E. M. ROBINSON, Matron.

In addition to the collection made for the Belgian refugees in Church, Mrs. Cowie and Mrs. Buttress are receiving small weekly sums for the same purpose, which are paid in to the Windsor Fund on the first day of each month.

Clewer parish magazine, December 1914 (D/P39/28A/9)